9 Natural Ways to Avoid Wrinkles
If you are in your thirties or forties you are probably starting to notice the inevitable - fine lines and wrinkles creeping in. Aging is a normal part of life, however, there are natural ways to help prevent yourself from looking older, and a lot of that has to do with your daily routines and habits. In this blog, I will share with you my secrets to younger looking skin!
1) Sleep on your back (not your side or stomach).
When you sleep on your side or on your stomach, it puts your face in a smashed up position for long periods of time, and eventually you will end up with lines on your predominant sleeping side. The best sleeping position to prevent wrinkles is on your back because it doesn't create any folds in your skin. If you can't manage to get to sleep on your back, you can try these wrinkle patches which hold your skin in place to treat and prevent wrinkles while you sleep.
2) Avoid habits that dry out your skin. Tobacco, coffee and alcohol are the major culprits that cause your body to become dehydrated and prematurely age your skin. Make sure you stay well hydrated by drinking half your body weight in ounces. Add a pinch of Himalayan salt to your water to make sure you get your essential minerals. Be sure you are getting enough electrolytes by drinking coconut water or add this electrolyte powder to your water first thing in the morning or after sweating.
3) Stop drinking through a straw.
Wrinkles around the mouth (often referred to as "smokers lines") are very common in people who smoke (obviously) but also in those who frequently drink through a straw. The repetitive motion of puckering your lips around the straw can create those pesky little wrinkles which can easily be prevented.
4) Keep your skin moisturized. My hands-down favorite moisturizing facial oil is tamanu oil. You will notice that people with oily skin have far less wrinkles than those with dry skin. If your skin is dry, be sure to use hyaluronic acid serum plus hydrating oils such as tamanu oil or coconut oil on a daily basis. Avoid skin products that contain a long list of ingredients you can't pronounce.
5) Be mindful of your facial expressions. Avoid repeated or exaggerated facial movements such as: constantly raising your eyebrows, or excessive smiling or frowning, which can create deep lines and wrinkles down the road. Wrinkles can also reveal a lot about a person's emotional state. To learn more about what your wrinkles mean, click here.
6) Get adequate sleep. There is a reason it's called "beauty sleep"! Blood flow to your skin increases, collagen is rebuilt and your body repairs UV damage to reduce wrinkles and age spots all while you are sleeping! Aim for 7-8 hours of quality sleep per night to get the most benefit for your skin.
7) Use a satin pillowcase. While it can't necessarily prevent wrinkles from forming, satin pillowcases help by reducing friction on your skin while you sleep and preventing skin creases and sleep lines. This brand is my favorite (and I love the satin eye mask too!).
8) Make facial cupping and gua sha part of your daily skincare routine. Facial cupping and facial gua sha are two popular trends that are actually ancient beauty secrets for younger looking skin! These awesome little tools work by improving blood circulation to the skin and breaking up adhesions in the facial muscles that cause wrinkles.
9) Get cosmetic acupuncture. Cosmetic acupuncture is a healthy way to improve fine lines and wrinkles and give you a more glowing complexion. It works by stimulating collagen production, improving facial muscle tone and increasing blood flow, oxygen and nutrients to the skin. It's also super relaxing and helps to improve your overall health along with your complexion. Click here to learn more.