Quick Keto Bison Chili
Updated: Aug 6, 2022
If you are on a paleo or keto diet, you probably think chili is a meal you will have to forego.
Traditionally, chili contains beans; however, beans (while classified as a "protein") actually metabolize in the body as a carbohydrate that turns into sugar. In addition, beans are very difficult to digest. (Remember the song, "beans, beans, the magical fruit..") Not to worry, you can still fulfill your chili craving with this low-carb hearty meal. This recipe is perfect for a cooler day and/or a wonderful idea for meal-prepping because the leftovers are even better! Using the Instant Pot, this recipe is quick to cook - no need to stand around a hot stove stirring constantly. I made this on Sunday night to have lunch prepped for the week. To enjoy leftovers, simply reheat in the toaster oven on bake for 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
2 TBSP avocado oil
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1/2 cup organic celery
5 cloves of garlic
2 packages of ground bison (12 oz. each)
1 can organic crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
1 can organic fire roasted diced tomatoes (14 oz.)
2 TBSP tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1 TBSP smoked paprika
4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
1/8 tsp allspice
1 tsp fine himalayan salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 bay leaves
fresh chopped parsley
Bowl #1: Chop onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic and place in a bowl.
Bowl #2: In a small separate bowl, combine smoked paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper and allspice.
Bowl #3: In a third bowl, combine crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, himalayan salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and bay leaves.
1) Turn the instant pot to "saute". Add 1 TBSP avocado oil to the pot. Once it reads "hot", add all the ingredients from Bowl #1. Saute for 3 minutes until softened.
2) Add 1 TBSP of avocado oil and 2 packages of ground bison to the pot. Saute for 3 minutes until slightly browned.
3) Add the spices from Bowl #2 and saute another 3 minutes until meat is completely browned.
4) Add all the ingredients from Bowl #3 to the pot and stir everything together. Hit the "cancel" button and press "manual", setting the time to 10 minutes and sealing the valve.
5) Once the timer beeps, let the food sit in the instant pot without releasing the steam valve for 15 minutes.
6) Release the steam valve carefully and take the lid off the pot. Press "saute" and let the chili cook for an additionally 3 minutes, stirring frequently to thicken.
7) Remove the bay leaves. Ladle the chili into bowls and top with fresh parsley. Add a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
#ketorecipe #ketochili #ketochilirecipe #paleochili #nobeanchili #chilirecipe #recipes